I have hobby ADD. I've started many kinds
of hobbies through the years and would eventually get bored or frustrated and
move on to the next thing. My sewing room is a junkyard full of ideas and
half-finished projects. Calligraphy, ceramics, pressed flowers, silk
ribbon embroidery, knitting, cross-stitch, beading ... you name it, I tried it
and eventually lost interest. But dancing is different- I was hooked on belly
dancing before I ever took the first lesson.
It was 18 years after watching Jaclyn Smith’s
dance in Charlie’s Angels before I’d set foot in a studio. It didn't matter that she wasn't a trained belly dancer- I was intrigued by the idea itself. But, I figured like all of my other hobbies,
dancing would just be another thing I’d get bored with or worse, that I’d take
a few classes, find out that I was no good at it and get discouraged and quit;
adding a hip sash and finger cymbals to the growing mountain of stuff in the
hobby junkyard. I was 33 before I
gathered the courage to look for a dance studio. In the early 90s, the Internet was in its
infancy, so there was no YouTube, no Facebook or Google to guide my
search. But there was the Yellow Pages,
and that’s how I found my school.
Habeeba’s studio was in the basement of a small shopping plaza. The boom years of the 70s and 80s were gone. Women had moved on from belly dance to Jazzercise, aerobics and spinning for exercise and my first class was small, with only 6 or 7 students. We were all novices, but as women usually do, I compared myself to everyone else in the class. It’s impossible not to compare when you’re standing side by side in black body-hugging leotards and tights in front of a wall of floor-to-ceiling mirrors. Body image? What body image? Pear shaped, apple shaped, straight or hourglass, most women, even those with the most perfect figures, can be intimidated by studio mirrors.
Every awkward move was reflected back for
self critique. Every move felt unnatural
and I was certain it felt that way because something was wrong with me. It
didn’t help that I was taller than all but one other student in my class and outweighed
most of the other women by at least 30 pounds.
I did my best to imitate the movements as my instructor demonstrated
them, and in spite of that, every week I felt defeated. But every week I went back and fought
through the self doubt and uncertainty and poor self image because the music
spoke to my heart and told me I was a dancer.
The music and movement transported me and
eventually I learned to anticipate changes in the music. Habeeba taught us how to improvise and build
on the basic technique we were learning, layering movements for more
complicated combinations of isolated movements and traveling steps. It actually was fun to go to class and for
the first time in my adult life, I had female friends; women who shared an
interest in the dance, music and culture of the countries where this dance
originated: Egypt, Turkey, Greece,
Lebanon and other Middle Eastern countries.
Somewhere along the line, something amazing
happened. I stopped comparing myself to
the women in the classroom and started appreciating the control I had over my
body. For someone who had only been
body-aware in the sense that I was critical of myself no matter what size I
was, this was a new and very cool thing.
I actually liked my plus size body because in spite of the fact that I
was a bigger girl, I could move in ways that other women couldn’t. Ok, so maybe that competitive/comparative thing
didn’t entirely go away, but the dance gave me confidence not only in the
dance studio, but in real life also. My
journey had begun.
Hobby ADD. Ha! I think I have that too. I'm glad you were able to pursue something that you love. It sounds like fun. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, you have no idea... it's not just limited to crafts. What's your poison?
ReplyDelete