I saw this saying on a T-shirt somewhere: "my
favorite color is glitter." That's me; always looking for the
glitter. That's why the belly dance costuming was a huge part of the
appeal of the dance for me.
My first belly dance performance was at the Columbus
International Festival in 1996. I’d been
taking lessons for just over a year. 17
years ago, beaded Egyptian costumes were hard to come by- remember, there was
no Internet shopping to speak of in 1995.
Authentic beaded and fringed bedlahs (bra and belt sets) were very
expensive and the only way to buy them was from a mail order catalog or at a
dance event from a vendor. Most dancers
made their costumes, and sadly, many of them (mine included) looked
homemade. Not that anyone in the
audience would know any different- seeing belly dancers was exotic as it was,
who was going to look that closely at our costumes? If only I’d had a resource like Shushanna’s “How to Make a Bellydance Costume”
website. I’m sure my costume would have
been worlds better than it was.
My original costume was teal satin with teal and chartreuse
fringe. It took over 40 hours to string
the fringe. My fingers were raw from
handling the needles and glass beads.
Rather than hand-bead the costumes, we used sequin appliqués to add
sparkle. My friend Heidi rode to the
Festival with me and was still sewing on appliqués on the way to the
event. In retrospect, it was rather a
sad little costume. With the bra and belt, we also wore a full
chiffon skirt, puffy harem pants and a sequin overlay panel for a little more
flash. Habeeba considers long hair a
part of our costume. My hair was barely
long enough, but what it lacked in length, Habeeba made up for in volume by
teasing it into a Loretta Lynn type-do.
Months of rehearsal and sewing went into the preparations
for this event. As we rehearsed, I
constantly compared myself to the other smaller dancers. I knew I was awkward and my movements weren’t
graceful. It’s easy to look back on that
now and realize that I had the same fears that every baby dancer has. Will I remember the cues? Will I turn the wrong way? Will my costume hold together? (!) Will I make my teacher proud? Stronger than those fears was the internal
fear of looking ridiculous and making an utter fool of myself. Somehow I was able to power through that-
mostly because it was too late to turn back at that point! I was a bundle of nerves and even though I’d
been onstage for other types of performances; singing, band and drama, that was
nothing compared to putting myself out there in dance.
It was
a five minute performance- me and three other dancers on a large stage. I don’t remember anything about it now except
the feeling I had when it was over. I
was giddy- I’d defeated my fear, defeated my low self esteem and proved to
myself that even a clumsy big girl like me could dance, maybe not so well in my
debut, but that’s ok for a beginner. It’s
how we learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment